Pope John Paul II, also known as Mr Karol Wojtyla, also known as Pope Saint John Paul II, or Saint John Paul The Great; a man with as many aliases to rival Sean Combs (Also knowb as: P Diddy, or Puff Daddy, or Sean P Diddy Combs) once gave the following apologies:
- The conquest of Mesoamerica by Spain in the name of the Church;
- The legal process on the Italian scientist and philosopher Galileo Galilei, himself a devout Catholic, around 1633 (31 October 1992);
- Catholics' involvement with the African slave trade; (9 August 1993).
- The Church's role in burnings at the stake and the religious wars that followed the Protestant Reformation; (May 1995, in the Czech Republic).
- The injustices committed against women, the violation of women's rights and for the historical denigration of women (29 May 1995, in a "letter to women");
- The inactivity and silence of many Catholics during the Holocaust; (16 March 1998)
- For the execution of Jan Hus in 1415 (18 December 1999 in Prague);
- For the sins of Catholics throughout the ages for violating "the rights of ethnic groups and peoples, and [for showing] contempt for their cultures and religious traditions"; (12 March 2000, during a public Mass of Pardons).
- For the actions of the Crusader attack on Constantinople in 1204;
- On 20 November 2001, from a laptop in the Vatican, Pope John Paul II sent his first e-mail apologising for the Catholic sex abuse cases;
- Church-backed "Stolen Generations" of Aboriginal children in Australia, and;
- to China for the behaviour of Catholic missionaries in colonial times.
He was apologising for big stuff- huge. The injustices committed against women, that's half the population already. The conquest of Mesoamerica? Another large chunk of humanity agrieved. Ethnic groups of a geography not specified, again, another great big slice of the human pie. The only group that the Catholic Church has not yet apologised to are wealthy, middle class, averagely educated, heterosexual, European men.
Fast forward to 2014 and the current Pope a certain Francis, also known as Mario Bergoglio has called a synod of Bishops where they all get together and discuss church doctrine. The current Mr Bergoglio put forward a document that originally read:
In their infinite and divine wisdom the shepherds of the Catholic Church have voted the above wording down because it devalued the traditional family. Now the document states that the gays "should be welcomed with respect and sensitivity" and that discrimination against gays "is to be avoided". Many a gay group is absolutely devastated that the Catholic Church isn't welcoming them with the open arms it had signaled it would welcome them with originally.
When you look at the history of the Catholic Church, even if it is just the things it has already apologised to the world for, like: the Stolen Generations in Australia, the systematic coverups of the rape of children around the world, the execution of heretics, for silence during the Holocaust, the contempt the church had for ethnic groups around the world; why would any group want to align itself to it? Why would any group want to be welcomed with open arms to such a body? To this body, the body of the so called eternal and one true church? The church that saw the execution of Jews and said nothing. The church that has stymied HIV prevention in Africa by rejecting condoms. Yes, that churc.
Let's stop for a moment here and catch our collective homosexual breath. If aligning yourself with a morally bankrupt organisation that ironically takes the moral high ground on every single of life is important to you I humbly suggest you look for other similar corrupt, racist, insular, regressive organisation to align yourself to; like the Liberal Party.
I for one am happy that the Catholic Church does not welcome me, because I do not want to be any part of it.
As Michael Chabon has said: “Not only would I never want to belong to any club that would have me for a member--if elected I would wear street shoes onto the squash court and set fire to the ballroom curtains.”